Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Story of B.O.B. Part 1

Well, since I'm still working on getting the shop in order so I can start working on new projects, let me start out with posting some of my past projects.

I'm going to start out with my most recently built friend. This is Old B.O.B. or my Duct Tape Masterpiece #1.



B.O.B. started life as a somewhat stock Ibanez EX370 that I bought several years ago because I had never had a guitar with a Floyd Rose.

I quickly found out that someone had been jacking around with the wiring and there where a lot of "interesting" examples of soldering. It wasn't but a couple of weeks into having it that the tone pot just stopped working, and within a month two of the tuning machines broke.

After buying my Gibson Explorer I decided that I'd really like to rewire the Ibanez to the same configuration the Explorer has. It was pretty much trashed anyway, so I didn't see any reason not to experiment. : )

My first plan was to route out a cavity for a 3-way toggle and drill holes for the extra volume pot.





Somewhere during the process I lost interest and let it set for a couple of years and as you can see by the wounds in the body I never ended up going that route.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of the Story of B.O.B.

No comments: