Wednesday, August 26, 2009

At last! The return of My Duct Tape Masterpieces, featuring the Tale of the SeaHag! Part 1

It has been way too long, and I do know that a few folks are following this, so please accept my apology for the long absence. My shop is now back up to speed and I've got some projects lined up, so there should be no end to up coming posts!

Now, for the Tale of the SeaHag!

When I bought my shop equipment, part of the package was some guitar parts, including almost everything needed to put a Hagstrom Super Swede back together.



Of course, not EVERYTHING, but most of it. This was a guitar that had had the neck joint seperated rather rudely, and the guy I bought all this stuff from had glued it all back together. It looked a little odd to me, but it all measures out right, so I guess that's all that counts.







I decided to leave the repair unfinished. I just have this thing about refinished repairs, it makes me think someone's trying to hide them. Just not my thing, I guess.

I had the original pickups and tailpiece, but the bridge, wiring, pots, toggle, and tuning machines were missing. Of course, this just means that I get to be creative with what I've got laying around! Which of course, makes me VERY happy!

First thing I tackeled was the tuning machines. I had an old 1960s Ventura semi-hollowbody, that is in many many pieces and it just happened that it had the only set of 3 and 3 tuners in the shop. The challenge was that they were a plate style set that had 3 machines on one base plate. No step for a stepper, right? A hacksaw and file took care of that issue.



Who needs pretty?

The same Ventura also donated this killer roller bridge!



The original pickups went back in, but I used new Gibson 500K pots, and a Gibson 3-way toggle, with the same wiring pattern from my Gibson SG Classic.

Next time I'll finish with the tour of the SeaHag and show off the full finished project! I'll also outline the next project coming up!

No comments: